Tuesday, August 23, 2011

First post

Welcome to my blog!

I graduated from the University of Oregon in 2007 with a BA in Family and Human Services. After graduating I moved home and worked at Nordstrom for six months in order to save money. I then moved to Germany for a program called "Camp Adventure" through the University of Northern Iowa. I was placed on an American military base working with children and given the opportunity to travel on weekends. I roomed with two other college girls, both of which were attending UNI. We made it to 9 different countries; the experience was incredible.

After moving back to the States I began a job with the Department of Human Services as a Self Sufficiency social worker (basically processing food stamp applications, interviewing clients and determining their benefits). The fit was not the best as I was stationed at a closed facility, in a cubicle with little interaction with others. I re-evaluated my goals and after a lot of reflecting decided that teaching would be a good fit - I wanted to make a difference, be around others and had always enjoyed reading and writing. Perhaps I could pass my enthusiasm on to a group of students. I left my job with the state and returned to Nordstrom full time in order to cover upcoming school expenses. I began taking courses at Portland State and earned a second BA in English over the course of a year and some change. I'm hoping to teach English at the high school level... So here I am!

Outside of school I spend my time working out (running is beginning to grow on me), hanging out with our pound hound, Horton, and just spending time with friends and family in general. One of my favorite things to do includes going out to the movies, especially the drive-in at Newberg. I'm also getting married on October 2nd, so it's looking like it will be a busy year. :)




1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness, Horton is adorable! So glad to finally see a pic of him after all the great stories. So glad to share this experience with you, and looking forward to spending more time talking about literature and how to write lesson plans. :)

    ReplyDelete